Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Kiddie Crack





I have found the one and only way to keep my son from staging a playpen-jailbreak.

Enchanted.

He has a toddler crush or something. I mean, I know Disney is just street code for 'kiddie-crack'. And as many times as I've seen Cars or Aladdin, I have never seen anything like this. I don't usually let him watch movies in the morning. In the morning, it's PBS Kids and all things educational. It isn't until 5pm that PBS gives way to the news, so that's when a Boo-Boo movie gets played, so mommy can make dinner uninterrupted, and it's over (or really close to it) when daddy gets home.

Today, Boo dove out of his pen so that he could get to the DVD shelf, get Enchanted and bring it to me. So, brilliant mommy that I am, I deduced that he wanted to watch it, and asked him if he wanted to see Giselle, because that's what I do with Disney flicks, I call them by their character names...

He goes running from me, down the hall and over to the DVD player saying, "yahyahyah" all the way. I catch up, and he's already trying to mash the open button to insert the movie, but aside from that, he's standing there, ever so slightly hunch-shouldered, like he's so excited he's peeing his pants ~ he's still in diapers, for all I know, he really was.

I bend over to set up the movie, which puts me eye-level with Boo, who is saying, "Aihn-ded" as I get it going. Normally, at this point, he tries to get the movie box back from me, and I decline since we have several movies that now have only black-sharpie-hand-written-movie-titles on their spine... some still have the plastic cover, some do not. But he had an entirely different look on his face today when he reached up for the box, and it was this look that made me let him have it...

It was reverence. Angels-descending-all-around-hallelujah-chorus reverence. He looked at the box lovingly as I allowed him to relieve me of it. He didn't even fuss when I returned him to the playpen. He sat right down with his treasure-Enchanted-box and proceeded to watch the all the previews.

After a request for more milk, he is once again sitting entranced by Enchanted. And call me a sap, but you remember when Mopey came to visit earlier in the month? Yeah, well a viewing or two of Enchanted, and that jerkface went running from the building like his hair was on fire. And not to bust Hubby's manhood-bubble, but he doesn't turn it off when he comes in and finds it on ~ he sits down and watches whatever is left of the movie's run with us.

The damn thing is infectious... waaaaayyyy too easy to watch ~ and even just to listen to from the other room. It's almost scary, the spell it has weaved over my entire household. And the happy-pop goddess-baseline beat of "That's How You Know" (DVD chapter 10, so you can find it quickly ~ in the event of an emergency) sticks in your head more than any other Disney song ~ ever... OK, maybe not EVER ~ "Supercalifragilistic" is pretty hard to top... but it's right up there. Now I've got that damned song running through my skull... Oh, whew, it'll be OK, "Happy Working Song" (DVD chapter 6) just started... I have to hurry up and finish this post so I can go watch it with him; even though I'm sure it won't be the only showing of the day...

Disney (crack), Disney (crack)... want some Disney (crack)






MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.